Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

California marathon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksimkoid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: California marathon Reply with quote

I'm seriously looking at the Avenue of the Giants marathon in No. California May 1st - anyone done this and can you provide input? Thanks.

Carpe Diem!
kent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone here ran it a few years ago, maybe Snowman?

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
1L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Snowman ran it the same year that I ran Big Sur. Too bad it filled up in October, as Big Sur is spectacular.

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
no twitch muscles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Ric also run it last year?
EatDrinkRunWoman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't run it but it's definitely on my list. I've heard it's absolutely spectacular.
- Betsy, Maniac #1077
Snowman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely loved it -- do it!

The downside first -- the "expo" (3-4 running shoe store trucks parked in a dirt lot, and the registration tables), the pasta dinner (at a firehouse, I think) and the race are about 25 miles from Eureka, the nearest town. There are a very small number of hotel rooms near the race venue itself, though many people camp. I ended up driving down on Saturday and Sunday both...but it's such a beautiful place it's hard to hold that against it...

The upside -- a truly lovely course, of course. They (at least used to) run this race fall (Humboldt County Marathon) and spring (Avenue of the Giants), in reversed direction. The course is two out-and-back legs. For AOTG, the first 6+ miles are a mild rise, then you U-turn and run downhill. The second half is quite flat, with the biggest rise being a highway overpass. The first half you're deep in the redwoods; the second half you're paralleling a rushing river (my college roommate who sold me on this race told me he could feel the energy boost from the oxygen off the river rapids).

Plenty of aid stations, as I recall, and really friendly volunteers. I flagged in the second half, as there was much more direct sunlight (it wasn't hot; I wilt in the sun as much as the heat). Nice medal.

Eureka hotels are nothing to write home about, but there's some pretty good food!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KRUje1UQJs
leannNO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran it several years ago, and stayed in Fortuna. That's closer than Eureka, but not much else to recommend it. This rates among the most beautiful marathons I've run, and probably tops the list. Do it. There was, and hopefully still is, an excellent restaurant rught off the wharf in Trinidad (north of Eureka) and Patrick's Point state park ( also north of Eureka) is worth the drive.

see my map!
ksimkoid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay...I'm registered and looking forward to it! Thanks everyone.

Carpe Diem!
kent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1L wrote:
Yes, Snowman ran it the same year that I ran Big Sur. Too bad it filled up in October, as Big Sur is spectacular.

This is not a good year to run Big Sur. There was a major landslide last night that took out most of CA-1. Based on the picture I saw it is unlikely they'll have it fixed before the May 1 race date. The organizers are looking into a modified out & back course which would still be beautiful, but it would not be spectacular.

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
Trent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh. I have some friends running it.

Website says: "On March 16th a forty foot section of Highway One collapsed making the road impassable between Carmel and Big Sur. While we are hopeful that repairs will be in place by race day, we are designing an alternate "out and back" course similar to what we did in 1998. Please stay posted for details as they become known, and we thank everyone for their support."
1L

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we just drove that stretch of highway in December. Too bad as hurricane hill is always a treat as is the bridge afterwards. I'm sure they'll figure it out as it is a wonderful race.

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
kent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images are small but you can see there isn't much hillside for them to work with.

Trent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my back yard.
ksimkoid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kent, I saw the photos as well, but I am assuming Avenue of the Giants isn't impacted by the heavy rains, right? When I did Dances With Dirt last year, I had a hard enough time climbing over the trees in Michigan - doubt I could haul my butt over a Redwood!

Carpe Diem!
kent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent wrote:
Looks like my back yard.

So not too soon?

ksimkoid wrote:
Hey Kent, I saw the photos as well, but I am assuming Avenue of the Giants isn't impacted by the heavy rains, right? When I did Dances With Dirt last year, I had a hard enough time climbing over the trees in Michigan - doubt I could haul my butt over a Redwood!

No worries from the rains up north. But they have had lots of quakes this year. And shootings from the local pot growers. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Motivation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: