Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heart Rate Training = faster?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rh

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Heart Rate Training = faster? Reply with quote

This yr I have decide to take a year off doing IM and do some fun races but the main reason to become more efficient on running /swimming. I have put my tri coach on hold until Jan 11 and hired a local swimming coach and running coach.

DJ (running coach) believes in heart rate training/running drills (faster leg turnover) which is a new way of training for me. I had my heart rate time trial at our local 5k on Saturday - I haven't been this nervous about a race in long time.
I ran easy 2 miles to the HS where the race was held- Ran my 5k and after awards (miss 1st place by 5 sec ) and ran home.

DJ tells me this will drive me crazy staying in by HR zones etc but it will work and I do believe him.

Does anyone train my Heart rate or change over to HR?
Dawnie

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it before - it's really great for developing a really efficient base. It's a good way to make sure your easy runs really are easy.

And, yes, staying in zone 2 on a run will drive you batty. Expect to do a lot of walking at first to keep your HR down. It'll get better, but it'll feel really pathetic to start out.

Don't hate the hill, hate the race director!
Scuba

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Judy always runs by HR, so I'm sure she'll chime in.
JimK

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing. I've never seen the faster runners in a race with a heart rate monitor.

However... from my vantage point in the race I generally don't see them at all. Wink

Good luck with the training Rhonda. That coach knows a lot more than I do.
Tom L

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Judy used to use one a lot too, but I am not sure whether she still does.

The HRM is a nice toy, but it’s important to calibrate your zones accurately. The various tests to determine what HR range your should be in (like 220 - age = maximum HR) may or may not apply to you. For example, my maximum HR is considerably higher than the maximum from that test so setting a workout based upon a %age of HR as set by that test is not going to do what it is supposed to do for me. For others, the test works perfectly well to estimate maximum HR.

HRMs are supposed to be useful in making sure that you do not do some workouts too hard, like long runs and to make sure that you are doing other workouts hard enough (like tempo runs). They are also useful for coaches, especially ones that don’t see you training, because they can tell you to run a certain number of minutes or miles within a certain HR range. But, if you are already recovering from your long runs by the time your next hard workout or run arrives on your training schedule, then the purported benefit from the HRM may not apply. Similarly, you may already be doing your hard workouts hard enough based upon perceived effort so the HRM won’t help you. So, whether the HRM is really going to help you really depends.

All that being said, HRMs are relatively inexpensive toys and switching the way you do things from time to time is likely to decrease boredom, which is certainly a risk with endurance training. So how you like this type of training with this coach and whether it helps you. If it doesn’t, it’s not as if you have lost anything significant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Motivation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: