Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan F

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Running Advice Reply with quote

Hello all- hope everyone has been doing well.

After a couple of years, many start/stops, and adding 40+ lbs I am finally back out running with regularity. I amgoing into week 3 of the program and started with a goal of no timed runs, just get the miles in. I increased 1/2 mile to a mile on certain days and am up to running a long run of 5-6 miles. I am unable to run the full distance without walking so I have been adding walk breaks in.

My question, do you guys think it would be better to back down on distance and run the full run or add a kep the distance bumps I have been doing even if it includes walk breaks?

I know eventually I will be in better shape and be able to run the full distances, just not sure of the best strategy to get there.
However hard you compete, run for fun. Make running a major part of a full life but not the whole. Run because you like it. To keep the joy of running will help you run faster than a platoon of analysts and a bagful of gadgets. - Jim Gerwick- Running Times- December 2004
2Ls

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(dup post)

Last edited by 2Ls on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
2Ls

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, I've been with Galloway for a looong time... that said, I think it's fine to stay with walk breaks and increase the mileage, once you get to a 'breakthrough' distance, say 10 or 12 miles, then you can comfortably start increasing your run segments on your non-long run days (ex. maybe start 4:1 ratio, then as you are more comfortable/fit with that, advance to 5:1, then 6:1, 8:1, 10:1) until you feel your fitness is ready for real speed and interval work, then you can do the same with your long runs.

BTW we had several guys in our Galloway group BQ using Galloway walk breaks...
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Alan!

It seems to be one of those questions about speed/endurance. I'd think about what you are doing as "time on your feet". I'd continue to keep the midweek runs short, and slow down even more so on the weekend "long runs" and continue to add in walking when you need to break.

Good to have you back.
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Running Advice Reply with quote

I say whatever works, Alan, and I do like this!

Alan F wrote:
started with a goal of no timed runs, just get the miles in.

Welcome back!
stihl going

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Christmas news indeed Alan. I think the advice you have been given is solid. Last thing you want to do is end up on the shelf by not listening to your body.
"My guess Kleenex is that you're a "minute" man" Julie K
1L

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Alan. sorry I'm not still around to provide a little motivation since I am coming back off minor surgery and building back up slowly as well. I started by doing a 2 min walk/5 min run sequence and then slowly running into the 2 min segments until I was able to run the entire distance. I only did a 3.5 mile loop at a time, and I didn't increase that distance until I ran the whole loop (albeit quite slowly). Granted I was in pretty decent shape (1:50 half in Atlanta on Turkey Day), but it still took a lot out of me to basically be useless for 2 wks.

Just don't worry about the pace and the distance and stick with it. Some days it will feel like crap and others will be great (and some days it will snow - wait, that is here). Keep up the great work.

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
Alan F

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Boy does it take time to get back in shape after you have been out of it for a while. I am enjoying running again and the feel of being out on the roads again.

Michele- run the Reagan is comnig up in a 7 wewks or so....... too bad you are so far away.

Hope everyone is doing well!
However hard you compete, run for fun. Make running a major part of a full life but not the whole. Run because you like it. To keep the joy of running will help you run faster than a platoon of analysts and a bagful of gadgets. - Jim Gerwick- Running Times- December 2004
JimK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to "see" you back Alan. If I remember right, I met you at the Flying Pig in Cincinnati. With the experiences you mention in your blog and knowing how much you love your family, it sounds like the best way to stick with it is to think about how long you want to be there for them. That should help more than a speed or mileage goal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Motivation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: