Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fitness/Rehab plan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlewally and farnk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Fitness/Rehab plan Reply with quote

UGH! I joined LA Fitness. I joined because my Hammie is not getting better and my physical therapy sessions are no longer covered by Workers Comp. I have not run since July and I can’t take it much longer.

My PT gave me some exercises to do to increase my hip strength, some in the pool and some on machines. While in the pool I walk forward, backward and sideways. I also do squats and leg lifts. This routine takes me about 45 min. to complete. (I actually love it!)
I have not done anything with equipment (except elliptical) but she wants me to do: elliptical, Bike, hip abduction/adduction, leg press, calf raises (with weights) and some light hamstring lifting. I also have some Swiss Ball, lunges and planks (and lots of dynamic stretching) to do as well.
My question is do I need to alternate days or can I do everything in one day? Is it OK to hit the pool everyday? How should I break up the exercises on a day to day basis? I will be meeting with a Personal Trainer later this week, but we spoke when I registered and I think Mr. Muscle Man has a different set of goals for me.
What do you suggest for my rehab?
Thanks!
stihl going

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess at this point Frank is that your bad hamstring has shut down Common when a hamstring injury occurs.

To answer the question first, you can do all those things in one day if you have the time . You can do pool work daily if you so choose just listen to your body.

If you are going to use any machines, do single side exercises. If you say do a hamstring curl with both legs your stronger leg will do the majority of the work.

Remeber that you are not stuck with your trainer. If you feel he is not listening to your needs, ask for someone else.
"My guess Kleenex is that you're a "minute" man" Julie K
Scuba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful with the trainer. Many gym "trainers" don't really know jack about physiology and anatomy, and they think one workout fits all people. Stick with what your trained PT suggested. The last gym "trainer" I used, had me doing things that wrecked my back in the first visit.

When my hamstring was giving me big problems (back when I was a runner), increasing my core is what seemed to help me recover most. It sounds like you have a lot of variety in your plan, so I'm sure you'll work the core, especially if you swim.

Good luck, Frankie!
2Ls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also caution you when working with LA Fitness trainer - I have a membership, and was looking for a 6-8 week session like I used to be able to arrange at the Y - but the guy was only interested in signing me up for a year commitent, with his program, not even listening to what my goals and concerns were.

Best bet might be to do your PTs workouts, on your own.
littlewally and farnk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last nights appointment wasn't to bad. Only ONCE did he try to sell me a membership, I declined and he never brought it up again.
However, he did not listen to my concerns. I showed him what my PT wants me to work on. I asked him to show me which machines I should use to get the most benefit. I told him I needed to work on my core and my piriformis (a very quizzical looked appeared on his face).
He liked the fact I want to "re-build" my core "But you need a strong body around your core. We can start with.... BLAH BLAH BLAH."
I reminded him many times I don't need to build strength in my Hammie yet he continued to show me hammie machine. I finally told him that I wont be working on my hammie.
We did some back and quad machines. That was OK. We used very little weight on any machine I tried. Today, I am a bit stiff.
I finally asked him about one machine in particular, Dual Adjustable Pulley. I tried it and I cant get the same feel that I got while doing therapy. He looked at me and said, "Honestly, I don't know how to use this machine."
It was then that I wrote him off.
The best advice he gave me was to change up my routine.

I've got a log book and my PT notes so I will be on my own!
Tom L

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These stretches, which I copied from a post by Russ on a thread started by CC, helped me out when I was having similar problems:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/193.shtml

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/sciaex/sciaex01.html

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/hamstrings/tighthamstrings.htm

I haven't checked the links so I can't guarantee they will work.
nicole l.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should spray tan. And eat hammie. what will it hurt? Besides the pig the hammie was extracted from, and even then it was humane slaughter. The pig asked to die! It wanted to be reincarnated. It was an Indian pig who is now eating ghee and rice.

Then whiten your teeth, do some high/low lights, and volia. Then go back to the trainer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Motivation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: