Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, how about an actual running question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom L

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: So, how about an actual running question Reply with quote

I go into the local running store this morning and learned to my absolute horror that Asics has done away with the 21X0 line of shoes and has something supposedly new and improved. The staff at the store this morning were just high schoolers, not the two or three clerks that I've known for 10 years and trust so I wasn't going to get any useful information of them.

So, has anyone tried the new Asics or otherwise know if they are basically the same as the 21X0 line that's been around forever? If Asics is playing around with their shoes, does anyone have stability shoes that work for them? Because if Asics is going to make me think about the purchase instead of just taking another $100 or so from me, I might as well consider my options.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the day I dreaded. I am due for some new shoes and have been looking around for sales of the 2100 series. I am interested in what you and others learn about this, Tom.
stihl going

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran in the 2170's but went back to the Brooks adrenaline as a result of the change.
"My guess Kleenex is that you're a "minute" man" Julie K
Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from 2170s to 2200s. They appear to be same old 21x0 line.
starrita

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in for a replacement pair of my 2170s and I was told they have been renamed the GT-2000. Each new update will be V1, V2, V3, and so on. It wasn't my usual running shoe guy so I found the owner and asked him about the new version. I don't remember the specifics of what he said but I wasn't overly concerned so I went ahead and bought the new version. I did look up shoe reviews of the newer version and they seem to be mostly positive.

I also have been wearing Adrenalines for the past few years and wanted a change. The Adrenaline 12's have been bugging my feet so I tried the Asics 2170. A lot of people really like the Brooks Adrenaline so it might be worth a try. I would be cautious in sizing though.
Tom L

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Brooks Ravenna 4 after trying it and a couple other shoes out on the treadmill and then on the sidewalk outside the store. The running shoe store said I could return them if I really hated them after a few runs as long as they weren't visibly worn so I think I will run on the treadmill at the YMCA for a week and see how it goes. FWIW, the first run yesterday in them was fine.
GBN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood why shoe companies discontinue their lines every year or so. Brooks makes a good shoe, though. You should be fine.
starrita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reporting back on the GT-2000s vs. the 2170s. Ouch. Not the same shoe at all. 82 miles and my aching legs want to know what they did to this shoe. One of my toenails turned purple.

I am back in Brooks Adrenaline. Hopefully there has not been a change between the 12 vs 13.
dcarson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have loved the Asics 2170 and was very sad when they were discontinued. I did get their "replacement" and hate them!!!! I have been having problems with my feet ever since. I need to find a different shoe.
Tom L

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did some more reading before going back to the running store, one item I learned about the Asics 2200 GT as compared to the 2170 was that they had changed the midsole to make it more flexible than prior models. In other words, they had made it less of a stability shoe than it had been before. Perhaps better for runners who don’t need the support, but probably not as good an option for a middle aged runner who is more than a few pounds over ideal running weight and whose feet, legs etc need some additional support. Lest there be any confusion, I fit that description.

So far, I’m happy with the Ravenna although lots of miles to go before I can review how well it holds up compared with the old Asics line.
T-Mu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had worn those same Asics from when I started running until about 3 years ago, when they moved the medial post and they started giving me blisters/shin splints. I switched to the Ravenna (3, then 4, now 5). I love them and I'm much happier with them - in fact, I'm also more of a midfoot striker in them than in the Asics, oddly. I do find that they don't last me as long. I could get ~350m in the Asics and my Ravennas feel worn out closer to 300m, but honestly I'm not running enough these days so that's still the same amount of time for me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Motivation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: