Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50 before 60
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Me! It's all about me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rita

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-13-12

wow, more than a month since I posted last... I'll chalk it up to the vacation we took (cruise), ajoining visit to my sister, a marathon and a Boy Scout event. I could have been going to the pool this evening, but I'm tired. didn't get up and run with the dog this morning. It was 25 degrees out, dark and totally unappealling. WIMP. Went to work and out to lunch with my younger son...while I was not as sore from the Sedona marathon with huge and frequent hills, I'm not bouncing back energy-wise. Eating well, hydrating okay. Just getting older. On the other hand I did look back at some of my other years when I was running faster and less frequent marathons and I took lots more rest days. So I'm hoping that doing this by feel is enough. If not, too bad.

I'm really looking forward to New Orleans in two and a half weeks. Have to make plans for California, I have the plane ticket for both of these. Also have plane tickets for the Bear Lake Double in June and Montana in July. Nothing for the fall yet as the AirTran ste isn't set up that far ahead. But I should be able to get at least one round trip for free. Maybe more by then. That credit card racks up points faster than the old one. Which is good as it took close to four years to get the points for Montana.

I just hope all the logistics (and my legs) continue to hold up so I can wrap this up before I retire (spring 2014).

freerice.com
Rita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-22-12

seriously not getting it done... there doesn't seem to be enough time ion any one day... partly because I keep doing other things, like taking my kid down to NC for a quick trip to go to a museum for one of his classes. I just hope he writes the report. I've been spending more time playing computer games than much of anything else. THen the weather got really nice and I'm spending time in the yard, but not enough.

and trying to get a back to back work out on the weekends... right. Did this past weekend, sort of... did 12 and then 10. Included lots of water jogging so it should have been easy. Then I felt flat most of this week till I slept 10 hours last night. Mayber that is what will be needed. So Sunday I'll plan on going to bed about 6PM.

freerice.com
Rita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-15-12

Heat issues... and all I did was walk the dog with my work clothes, dress jeans and a polo shirt. I had thought about changing into shorts and a tee mostly to change shoes, but the dog was over anxious. A simple mile and a quarter, mostly in the sun 82 degrees and I'm light headed, slightly nauseous. What gives.

I did go to the pool last night to water jog. An hour of that and I felt like I had just finished a brisk 10 miles or so. Slept hard and felt flat this morning. Getting old sucks. No recovery power any more. That used to be my strong suite. I did a mile jog with the dog both Wednesday and Thursday morning before work, no soreness at all. Doing embarssingly slow marathons means I could start runing again within days if I wasn't so wiped out and if the weather was chilly and overcast.

At least the worry about the double is behind me. I fell ten pounds lighter, even though I'm actually eight pounds heavier. Stress eating.

freerice.com
Rita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-23-12

had a fairly uneventful week... lots of water jogging and two miles most morning with the dog. I just wish that I didn't see the weight creeping up. I'm sure that part of it is the fact I sit at work for eight hours.

My older son is planing on hiking the Appalachian Trail. Flies to Maine on July 17th. Does Mount Katahdin on the 18th then heads south the next day. Through the 100 mile Wilderness. I'm glad I get to not walk the whole thing. I'm sure he'll be fine now that I've convinced him to take his cell phone. He built himself a page for donation... seems he feels he has bought enough of his friends drinks so now they can repay him
http://www.gofundme.com/longwalk

freerice.com
Rita

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-22-12

On Tuesday I dropped my son off at the airport, "destination Bangor, Maine"... he hefted his pack at exactly 5 AM, checked in and flew out. Much later the fifth phone call of the day let me know the one thing he forgot to pack...duct tape. Which is really funny as he unpacked his already packed pack at my house to go through everything one last time and as I read the list of things (I had emailed him a list of mostly stuff for his first-aid suply) I thought he should have he kept saying "I'll use duct tape for that". So he walked to the nearest store from the lodge he was staying at (they had picked him up from the bus stop, fed him dinner, bedded him down, breakfast in the AM and then a ride to the ranger station). I figure that Wednesday he summited Mt.Katahdin, Baxter peak and then got as far a the Katahdin Stream Campgound where he had a reservation. Hopefully he has been putting in at least 10 miles a day since then. He started with a heavy pack as he was into the Hundred Mile Wilderness for his first bunch of days, with more food than he'll carry at any other time in his trip. He plans on calling me when he gets to Monson, ME (115 miles from the start). I'm excited for him, he was a bit frantic in the days before the departure, kinda like tapering I suppose.

Several people at work, including my boss who I've know for 19 years have asked about this adventure. I posted the trail map outside my cube and I'm putting little sticky arrows with dates as he moves along. Lots of hope in this trip, hopefully he'll find enough water, hopefully he'll stay healthy and uninjured, hopefully he'll get to Georgia and the end of the trail before Christmas (so he'll have a ride to the airport). My husband's son lives down there so he has said that if it's before Dec.22 he'll be able to pick him up.

Life is good. But darn that kid got to Maine before I did, I"ll be there on September 30th.

freerice.com
Babs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an exciting journey he is going on. Thanks for the link!
Maniac #1016
Rita

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-26-12

So the son has gotten through the 100 Mile Wilderness a few days faster than expected. He called today and is going to see about getting to an outfitter tomorrow and buying a hammock with rain fly so he can send his tent and some other heavy stuff home. He said feet weren't too bad compared to a guy he caught up with today. But he is having a bit of an ITBS problem. I told him the stretches to do, he's already taking vitamin I and he has a supply of Biofreeze. He'll work through it or slow down till it loosens up. Said that after dinner he got a cold beer and used it to ice his knee betwen sips.

freerice.com
Rita

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-25-12

wow, more than a month sice I posted... my older son was in Hanover, NH last Thursday. Well into Vermont and he seems really happy. My husband says "of course he is, no job, no bills, total freedom... a young man's dream". Since he started in Maine he seems to have missed all the really hot weather. I just hope he has a snow free fall in the Smokies (November/December)...

freerice.com
Rita

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9-16-12

whatever... only ran 8 of the 20 I was supposed to do, then I got in the pool and water jogged the rest. Two weeks till Portland, ME.

This weekend we got to see one grandkid doing flag footballl, one playing softball (kid pitch) and one playing baseball (kid pitch). I did my long workout Saturday afternoon so I cut myself some slack on not even getting half done on the road. I was tired before I started.

My older son was in Kent, CT on Saturday. He has finished ME, NH, VT, and MA. Next weekend we hope to see him when he makes PA. His brother is down at ODU in Norfolk. My sister are both coming in for a family wedding (10-11-12) and will spend the week, driving to see both of my kids. Busy week. For me it'll be more fun than usual as I'll take four days off of work.

I'm trying to pretend I have any motivation left for anything. I just keep putting one foot in front of another at whatever I'm doing. water jogging has become the best thing I do. Luckily I'm busy at work right now, good project, lots of fun setting up loads of data. I would rather be really busy, let the day fly by. This project will be going to production this weekend so next week might be boring unless something else comes in. Your tax dollars at work, I wish I could be busy more weeks than I am lately. whatever.

freerice.com
Rita

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11-10-12

I'm still not motivated, lost my sign on for this board, emailed for a new one, didn't see the email reply and didn't look for it very hard...no excuses, just not motivated for much of anything.

next week I'm supposed to run in Tulsa, OK... no illusions, I'll be happy to finish...

my son pulled off the Appalachian trail this week after a week of cold and snowy hiking. He had pulled off the trail the week before to avoid Sandy and I think spending a few days with his ofrmer rommate and seeing friends "softened" him up. Either that or sleeping in freezing temperatures all this week just made it too miserable for him to continue. So he came off from Pearisburg, VA with 1554 miles done and another 602 or so ahead of him... just waiting for the spring thaw. I am happy he chose to take a break because there is already 3 feet of snow in the Smokies and I would rather he kept all his fingers and toes. He has a huge fluffy beard and sore feet. He is alternately chilled even now (been home since yesterday), 36 hours off the trail. I'm going to make an appointment for a physical and then another for the podiatrist. Get him healthy before he finishes. Maybe he'll get a job while he waits for spring. I could hope.

freerice.com
leannNO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering how he'd fared with Sandy. Probably smart to take the winter off from the hike.

Good luck in Tulsa!

see my map!
stihl going

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I understand the not motivated thing. Hopefully that will cure itself. Best of it in Tulsa.
"My guess Kleenex is that you're a "minute" man" Julie K
Rita

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12-8-12

First day of (poor quality) swimming. wow. my arms feel like they may fall off. I think I need to find my kids swim fins and do more leg only laps. I need the fins as my kick is very weak. I am just not a swimmer. Didn't even remember to look for a pair of goggles to take along. I know we have at least two pair somewhere in the house. I'm already thinking of finding a New Years Day 5K to start the year right. Especially if it stays as warm as it has been.

freerice.com
Rita

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-4-13

For Christmas my husband got me (among other things) a pair of swim fins...wow... it's just like knowing how to swim really well. Though I did notice that my toes cramp if I use them for more than 10 minutes at a time. So I've added them in with an 'interval' kind of work out where I only put them on for three ten minute segments during the hour I swim. Maybe I'll be able to work up to longer or more. Right now I find my legs are more tired than from running or water jogging the same amount of time (total, one hour). I wonder if this is because I'm really in horrible shape or because the swim fins work the legs so much differently. I'll find out tomorrow as the pool is closed for a swim meet and I'll do an hour of (slow) running for the first time in about a month.

freerice.com
Rita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-28-13

I was looking at my son's Appalachian trail blog http://www.trailjournals.com/docspice
and thinking that is had been DAYS since he had posted. Well, gee, MONTHS since I have posted so I thought I had better remove the beam from my eye.

I finished a marathon in KY in April, then WY, WA and OR in the month of June. KY wasn't too bad but the three in June all sucked as I was (as usual) undertrained and all ended up in the 80s. I'm trying to work out more & lose some of the weight I picked up last fall. Not having a metabolism is not helping.

Younger son is away at college and stayed there this summer to make up for a class he dropped and one he failed. Older son went back to the trail in April. He did 1554 miles last year (Southbound) and came off after Sandy dumped 4 feet of snow in his way. This year he started in GA and presently is in NJ or NY, not sure as he doesn't call or post much.

I have IL in Sept, IA in Oct and HI in January and I'm done with 50 states. In March I'll turn 60 and be able to retire. I'm ready.

freerice.com
kent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rita wrote:
7-28-13

I have IL in Sept, IA in Oct and HI in January and I'm done with 50 states. In March I'll turn 60 and be able to retire. I'm ready.

Thanks for the update Rita. Hang tough, you're almost there. And I am soooo jealous!

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
stihl going

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running Des Moines? May force me to go pace.
"My guess Kleenex is that you're a "minute" man" Julie K
leannNO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering! I'm jealous about the impending retirement.

see my map!
Babs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am jealous on all accounts. I will retire in five years at 66! I am also hoping to get 50 by 70!. Hope you will continue to run marathons. I hope to run with you again!
Maniac #1016

Last edited by Babs on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
JonD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rita wrote:

WOWZA! I've already retired at age 62, but I've run only one, ONE, marathon in my life. Ya kinda rocked me back on my heels, humbled me a whole lot.

But, all things considered...I'm retired...

http://attwilightblog.blogspot.com/
1L

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of semi-retired myself, but I can't seem to stay healthy enough to keep knocking off the states. Nice work, Rita!!!! You deserve Hawaii and retirement.

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
Rita

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am going to FINISH the Des Moines race, but I can't really say I'm going to 'run' it... especially after reading the Comrades race report I realize that my 50X60 is something but not nearly as impressive as others. But I am getting rather proud of hanging in there with my job and the rest of my life as well. In November I'll be doing a girl's weekend with a friend and we'll be down in Richmond, VA where I'll do 'just a half' while she does the full. It'll be the thing that will keep me in training till I go to Hawaii. Then I'll reconsider my running, fitness, weight and file paperwork to retire, pack my house to sell and work on being retired and complete all the other projects I've put off for the last (maybe) 30 years.

I think I'll put the details from the weekend in a 'mission accomplished' as there are things that need saying.

freerice.com
kent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rita wrote:
Quote:

I am going to FINISH the Des Moines race, but I can't really say I'm going to 'run' it... especially after reading the Comrades race report I realize that my 50X60 is something but not nearly as impressive as others.

Who are you kidding Rita, you're at 48 out of 50 states, I find that incredibly impressive!

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
Rita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-9-13

my older son has completed the entire Appalachian trail today. He did 3/4 of it last year before hurricane Sandy came through and dumped many feet of snow in the Smokies (he was going southbound last year) and the cold & snow sent him home. He's been mostly on the trail since the middle of April. He was nice enough to take 10 days off in late June so I could go west with my hubby and run in WA and OR and take a vacation there in between.

I guess the insanity that makes people do LONG, CRAZY things must run in my family. I'm very proud of him. Now I hope he gets a job and gets on with his life. It also happens that (even with the government shutdown) today I have 100 working days left in my career. What's weird is that I have been called into work but they are not paying me. When the appropriations bill goes through the people sitting home will probably get paid the same as me. Not that I think they should get stiffed, I'm just wondering why I'm getting up every day and going into the office. See, crazy runs in my family.

freerice.com
Rita

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-1-14

Happy New Year...
Celebrated Newfoundland New Year (on the half hour, something I learned last night). Slept in, went to the pool and out to breakfast with my husband. Then I packed a box and after this bit I'll start filling out paperwork. All this because at the end of March I will get to retire from my job and sometime in June, we hope, we will move to a new house. I still have my 50th state marathon to complete, Maui in 18 days. It has been SO BUSY at work this year that I am really ready to be done with all of it. I want to work out without a plan, sleep late when I want to, do all the things I have been putting off, sort through years of 'stuff'... lots of stuff from the kids childhood & my life before them.

My sons think I'll be bored within the year... my sisters are split on that thought. My husband knows that I will keep busy with all kinds of stuff I haven't thought of yet. But first, the rest of what still needs doing, Hawaii and paperwork.

freerice.com
kent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with Maui Rita, enjoy your 50 state accomplishment!

Babs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! I hoping to retire in 5 years at 66. I hoping by then I will be close on the 50 states! Let me know when you are back in GA.
Maniac #1016
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Me! It's all about me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: