Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bike Crashes Vs. Running Injuries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Bike Crashes Vs. Running Injuries Reply with quote

By Gina Kolata of the NYT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KRUje1UQJs
1L

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very true.

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
goober

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it the drama of a crash, or is it that a crash makes you realize you could actually be killed on a bike?

At least for me, when I am going particularly fast on the bike, such as a long, steep descent, I am always on the brake shaving off speed, thinking about how painful (and potentially deadly) a crash would be at that moment while others are flying by me getting off on the adreniline rush.
GBN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I need an exercise physiologist, a professor of economics and physchology, an "expert on fear and risk perception", and numerous banged-up athletes to convince me that things with wheels are inherently more dangerous than my own two feet, but okay.
kent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBN wrote:
Not sure I need an exercise physiologist, a professor of economics and physchology, an "expert on fear and risk perception", and numerous banged-up athletes to convince me that things with wheels are inherently more dangerous than my own two feet, but okay.

Thanks, I felt the same way after reading it. At least the author wasn't whining about how cars refuse to share the road with bikes.

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
Rh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting my first dog this year- and crashing
I was lucky crack helmet and nice looking road rash.
After the guys check me over we had 10 more miles to ride

Was I nervous riding- not really. But I did yell at cowboy bob a couple wks later on a group stay hell away from me he was to close for comfort. Cowboy bob is dangerous crazy guy that everyone fears he going take the down.

Breaking a collarbone isn't a biggie- a sling for few weeks.
Judy Denver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rh wrote:
Breaking a collarbone isn't a biggie- a sling for few weeks.

You say.

There is breaking a collarbone, and then there is really breaking a collarbone with displacement (in a pre-surgery/pins/plates world). I broke my collarbone in a bike crash in 1984, and it was a HUGE thing. A brace for 6 weeks, no use of that arm during that entire time, and a huge bump and a drooping shoulder for life. If I had that crash/break today, I'd have surgery (a la Lance), and have the thing put back together with hardware, and would probably be back in business a lot faster. I'm not at all sure I'd be in any less pain.

Breaking a wrist is another biggie. Who knew there were so many bones in the wrist, and that it was hugely flexible, turning on all kinds of different axes, and when that gets shut down - ouch. I'm well over a year out from that crash/break, and my wrist still hurts. Sometimes a lot. I've resigned myself to the possibility that it may always hurt.

My collarbone wreck was a huge one; carted off to the ER in an ambulance, the whole nine yards. My wrist break crash was a small one, but I still ended up spending many hours in an ER.

I've had my fair share of running injuries (not to mention a few ski injuries) and none of them have resulted in a trip to the ER. The entire article, when I read it a few days ago, seemed like a huge "duh" to me.

Marathon Maniac #835. Check out my 50 states progress at: MarathonGeeks

Current Tally:
64 Marathons, 2 Ultras
50 States, 1 Province, 2 Countries, 1 Continent
Tom L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not rocket science to understand that:

1. running for a number of years is likely to cause fairly serious and debilitating overuse type injuries, but that these injuries are less common and serious in biking; and

2. there is a much greater chance of going out for a bike ride and having an extremely serious injury, up to and including death, than there is when you go for a run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Motivation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: