Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running and sponsorships

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T-Mu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Running and sponsorships Reply with quote

One of my good friends writes for Smart Money and the WSJ and she just broke a story about Meb's new contract, which has some typical restrictions lifted. She also gets into professional running contracts in general. Interesting read:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303592404577363691089413680.html?
Tom L

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder about how much of the sponsorship decision in a sport like track is based upon the belief that you are going to sell more products and how much of it is just giving back to the sport where you are making money selling shoes or whatever. I'm probably more aware of track and field than most, and I've never heard of this steeplechaser before. So, I really doubt that his sponsor is going to sell enough shoes or whatever to make an additional $20K in profit through sponsoring this runner.

Similarly, while the boys like Sketchers because many models light up when you walk, I can't see myself buying Sketchers running shoes no matter how well Meb does.
T-Mu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of long, but here's a review of Skechers' new shoe that suggests it's actually worth a look:
http://www.runblogger.com/2011/09/skechers-go-run-review-first.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Motivation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: