Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HEY NEWBIES/LURKERS
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlewally and farnk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: HEY NEWBIES/LURKERS Reply with quote

It is time to introduce yourself. Give a brief bio of yourself.

me:

Been running for 28+ years. LOVE every step!
Started Marathon running 12 years ago. This year I will hit my 20th in the LBCM.

Listen to your body every day that you run, back off when it tells you. Push harder when it lets you. Enjoy all that comes with it.
2Ls

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go next

Was a total nonathletic, band geek all through high school & college
unless you count marching as endurance

Post-college dabbled in the pub sports - bowling, darts, pool
then co-ed softball beer leagues

Got Lasik surgery, then got an itch to try a Triathlon in 2000
Learned after the Tri that I don't know how to run

Hooked up with a walk-to-run program, friends I met there convinced me to join them in a Saturday long run, then another, etc.

First Half Marathon was Hops in 2001 (the hot one)
First Marathon was Disney in 2003 (the cold one)

I've completed 8 half-marathons (my favorite distance) and DNF twice at Disney (long story)
Two marathons (Disney and MCM, both 2003) and one DNF (Jax)
Training for NYC 2005, baybee!

Completed 18 triathlons and the next one is Sunday
Numerous 5ks, 10ks, 15ks.

I'm really slow but I'm out there so who cares
Well nobody but my better half, who doesn't get it.
at all.

Oh yeah and a pig lives in my house
Along with 3 dogs, 3 cats, and my husband
NicoleK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go...

I'm 27 years old (will be 28 in another month).
I'm married and have been running regularly for about 4 years.
I've completed 3 marathons (LBCM 03, 04, Flying Pig 05).
I will be running LBCM and NYC this fall----woohooo!

I'm slow and I need to lose 20 pounds, but who's counting? I have fun and I love my taper madness friends... that's all that counts right?!
1L

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Farnk, I have been running 28+ yrs and I will complete my 20th marathon (hopefully) this fall at NYC. It was supposed to be at Chicago or Lakefront, but alas my body rebelled against that one (minor surgery next week for some female stuff) - so NYC, it will be.

My favorite racing distance is the Half marathon as I consider my self to have 50/50 between slow and fast twitch muscles.

My favorite marathon is Boston followed by Big Sur. I have unfinished business in Beantown, so you might see me there in the Spring of 2006.

I am also not too slow for an old lady, and I plan to run London in 2007 when I will be 45!

I will be married 20 yrs in Sept, have a 12 yr old daughter, and a 6 mos old puppy. I am recently unemployed after 23+ yrs, and it isn't so bad.

Next......

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
Alan F

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been distance running for about 4 years now I guess. Before that it was pretty much just short stuff after tennis practice throughout highschool and college.

I am currently training for the Steamtown Marathon which will be marathon #10. After thinking about it for a couple of years, I decided to dabble with triathlons this year. I have completed 2 sprints and have my 3rd one tomorrow.

I have been married almost 8 years to Kathy and we have a 15 month old son.
don p.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Po' pocock Reply with quote

So I have a funny last name and many nicknames to boot.

I've also been running for about 16 years or so. I ran XC and track in high school and kept up with 5ks and 10ks through college and law school. I've done two marathons, one half, and one ten miler. LBCM was an absolute blast last year. This year my plans are in flux, so we'll just have to see how things pan out.

I'm happily involved with a great significant other, but not married. One dog lives in my house and she's a sweetie.

Being a lawyer pays the bills. I represent architects and engineers primarily. It's fascinating and constantly challenging.

After caddying for the Dali Lama (big hitter the Lama), I was told that on my deathbed I will receive total consciousness. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Go Deacs!
Go Tapirs!
Go the distance.

"The will to win is meaningless without the will to prepare." -- Juma Ikanga
dan s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this thread should be a sticky, in case we actually get a REAL newbie or lurker someday.

Maybe we need to cherry-pick the Toilet Paper boards for some cool newbies.
John H

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, I never thought I'd be running marathons. It was only a little over five years ago that I even started running at all. I'd drive to and from work through the Metroparks, and see other people running on the path that parallels the road. I couldn't help but notice that many of them looked great in jogging bras and tiny shorts.

So I got out there one spring day. Planned to run to the freeway overpass and back, for a total of about 2.5 miles. Thanks for playing, and we have some nice parting gifts for you backstage. I was sucking wind a couple of minutes into the run, and walking not long after. So, I now had two motivating factors ... eye candy plus the desire to get better at running. Understand, I had never been a runner ... not in high school, college, or any time after. I was on the brink of 30 years old, heavier than I wanted to be, and not getting any healthier sitting at a desk all day.

I kept at it, and was soon able to run to the bridge and back. Then I started entering 5Ks, and for about a year and a half, that's the only distance I raced. But I always had the little voice in the back of my head telling me to go farther. Kind of like that damn voice in Field of Dreams, the one that Costner was about ready to throttle after a while.

In January 2002, I found the Cleveland Marathon site, and somehow found myself registered for it a few moments later. I trained for it (using the Novice plan of He Who Shall Not Be Named), and finished in 4:23. And that was the best thing that could have happened to my marathoning career ... I knew, KNEW that I was capable of much more. Now, some three years later, I've run 9 marathons, with #10 slated for this October. I have come to truly enjoy running and could no longer imagine life without it.

Along the way, I got married, we adopted two children, also scooped up a couple of cats, and settled in a house in Cleveland's southwest suburbs. I've learned that plaids and stripes don't match. I floss my teeth far less often than my dentist would like. I believe in opening your presents on Christmas morning, not Christmas Eve. I'm a long suffering but still loyal fan of the major Cleveland sports teams. I'm confounded by any home repair more complex than changing a light bulb. And if chocolate had vitamins, then I'd be the healthiest guy on the planet.

Next?
Doctor F

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 44 years old, married with 2 kids. I have run and completed 10 marathons. All slowly.

I was a sprinter and HS and was an on-again, off-again runner until 1997 when I completed my first half marathon. My goal is to run at least one marathon in each of the 50 states. I've got 8 states completed and I looking to run Cape Cod and Philly this fall to get up to 10.

I'm hoping to sherpa my wife to her first 1/2 marathon this October.
Jon (was) in Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just turned 40 this week. Been running about a year and a half. Three half marathons and a bunch of 5K's. Heading for the full marathon in October, and hoping I can hold it together this time. Very Happy
lori

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon in Michigan wrote:
Just turned 40 this week. Been running about a year and a half. Three half marathons and a bunch of 5K's. Heading for the full marathon in October, and hoping I can hold it together this time. Very Happy

Hey Jon.. Happy Birthday!! Welcome to the 40's!
KRob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running since I was 14...which makes 26 years as I turn 40 today! (Right there with you, Jon!)

While I've done a lot of 5K's and 10K's in that time, my first marathon was Chicago this past October. I'm now training for my second marathon, which will either be Chicago again or Omaha. If I run Chicago, I'll be trying to qualify for Boston (I get an extra 5 minutes now). Omaha is far too hilly for me to run in 3:20:59.

My wife and two daughters (12 and 10) also run. We've done several races together this past year, and will be doing many more this year.

ITMIYSOAYHTSM? SNaBT
"Run Like You Stole Something!"
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey new folks/lurkers -- come out come out wherever you are ...

ME:

Where: Texan/Arkansan/Virginian/Marylander (lived in all four). Texan, mostly.
Ten marathons: Dallas White Rock (3), Austin (3), Oklahoma City, New York, and Chicago (1 each); two ultramarathons (LBJ Grasslands 50 mile and Dances With Dirt 50 Mile), three team relays (Dances with Dirt, White Rock Marathon and Little Rock Marathon relays), way too many races from 5K to 30K.
Currently training for:Rockledge Rumble 50K, November
Favorite comic strip characters: Uncle Gabby and Drinky Crow (Maakies)
Middle management role model: David Brent
Ask me about: marathon training/ultra training
Don't ask me about: medial or lateral posts, anaerobic threshold

We're glad you're here, whoever you are!

Last edited by Ed on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
JonD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday, Guys!!!
roni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Rasa. 30. Living in Phoenix. Where it's currently 110 and the deserts are on fire. Not by my house, though, thank God!

I've run one marathon, MCM 2002, very slowly... I'm aiming for the BQ when I hit the 75-80 age group. There's plenty of time for improvement! I've run too many 5K's & 10K's to count (since 1995ish), and I've even helped organize a couple of charity 5Ks. I've done a few sprint tri's (nothing serious).

I'm planning on heading to Disney in January 2006 with a bunch of Phoenix friends. Right now I'm looking at doing the 1/2 (because it makes for a much better vacation), but if I get motivated enough, I might sign up for the marathon. No Goofy medal for me, though. That's just sick. In a good way, of course Wink

I'm doing more biking than running right now, since I've signed up to do a 65 mile mountain bike ride (Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon) in August, but I'm starting to get serious about my running again. For some reason, I always decide to buckle down on running when the temperatures soar. A perverse sense of logic, I guess...

Wear your sunscreen!
Cool rasa
lori

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin.. Happy Birthday to you too!!!
Melissa V

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Spock introduced Reply with quote

Me: Melissa Vetricek aka Bunny Ears, Stevie Pilot, Spock

Condesed Verison:Have run 16 marathons in 12 different states. I have a life long goal of running one in each of the 50 states. I have, at times, been very serious about my training and have hired Greg McMillan for personal coaching to help lower my times (he did). I have a PR from the 2004 Flying Pig of 3:19.

I am 39 yrs old; a single mom to three wonderful boys (ages 11 (almost), 7 & 7) and work full-time as a financial analyst to foot my entry fees and airfare to my races.

I do lots of running in the early morning and also on a treadmill in my bedroom when mom duties and training schedules conflict.

It's now June of 2005 and I have been in a one-year lay-off from any kind of training. I am entered in NYC for the Fall and would really like to lose my one-year-lay-off-from-running weight before ordering my TRICKS skirt!
Babs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently training for Chicago marathon. This will be my sixth Chicago. I hoping to convince the rest of my family to run a different fall marathon next year. Everyone in my family runs the fall marathon. This will be my 3rd marathon this year and I will try to get another marathon(and state) before the end of the year. I am thinking of running the Disney half and full marathon. It would be my fourth marathon in the state of Florida so it doesn't help with my quest for the 50 states. I am 53 years old and have been married for 33 years. My three adult daughters and their husband or boyfriends run the fall marathon with my husband and me.
Maniac #1016
And Charlie.
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Mayer wrote:
My three adult daughters and their husband or boyfriends run the fall marathon with my husband and me.

Barbara - that is so totally cool that your whole family runs together!
ClothesD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first race was as a junior in college--a 1 miler!--that my running roomate talked me into the night before as we were sitting at some bar. The morning came early, and I almost died out there, being passed by some stinking 12 year old kid who was shouting enouragement at me "Come on, Man!" He won.

The story should be....I started running and became healthy, but alas, it doesn't work that way. I would run for a week or two at a time then quit for six months or so for about 15-ish years, all the time dreaming about being "a runner" and the magic and mystery of "the marathon."

And then, started again in 2000 and completed my first half marathon...ran on and off, then crawled across the finish at the Twin Cities Marathon in 2003, and began to consider myself "a runner." I haven't won any races or prizes (except a doorprize drawing of Jam at the Cheesehead Half Mararthon--didn't taste that good) but I do try to follow my motto and "Cover the Distance, Run for Fun." And that tastes great!

"I got the hurt, I'm wearing the shirt"
--Fried, 9/07
mdsl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi from South Australia

I have a confession to make...I may not belong here as I have never run in a marathon - but I have high hopes that one day I will.

I have only been running 18 months and in that time have had to stop due to numerous injuries...my latest being left calf strain.

I have been "out of action" for the last few weeks and it looks like I still have a few weeks to go.

I hope I can still read in on this forum regardless.... marathons fascinate me and this forum looks really down to earth and motivating

Smile
lori

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdsl.. of course you belong here! If you found your way here, you belong here! All the members here are not marathoners. We are all a big loving community of runners and such, and we welcome you with open arms. Sit back and enjoy, it will be a fun ride!
1L

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mdsl - I spied on your website - you go girl!! All are welcome here, and it is nice to have another someone join us from Down Under!

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795

Last edited by 1L on Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Little Jen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mdsl! I hope you like hanging out here - it's fun place to be!!
JonD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mdsl!! Of course you belong!! You're among runners and friends. Come in, get comfortable and stay awhile. The people here will cheer you on every step of the way as you strive for that first marathon.

http://attwilightblog.blogspot.com/
littlewally and farnk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: mdsl Reply with quote

WELCOME!!!! It is great to have you aboard.

Come for an hour stay for a moment
Stay for the rest of your life.
KRob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdsl wrote:
...I may not belong here as I have never run in a marathon - but I have high hopes that one day I will.

.... marathons fascinate me and this forum looks really down to earth and motivating

Welcome, Sharon!! (Sorry if I outed you, I spent some time on your excellent blog.)

You most certainly belong here! This group has helped to get countless people (myself included) to the starting line of their first marathon. You've already figured out how "down to earth and motivating" the people here can be (they've been described in other ways, too, but I'll let you discover that yourself).

I'm glad you found us!

ITMIYSOAYHTSM? SNaBT
"Run Like You Stole Something!"
e

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 47 years old. One husband of almost 24 years. 4 children...23, 20, 12, and almost 9. My youngest daughter, Molly, loves to run with me and we recently ran a 5K together.

I'm a teacher, recently finished my master's degree in library science so will hopefully be changing jobs this coming school year. I coach soccer, am a girl scout leader, and teach Sunday school. Sometimes I have a very hard time squeezing in even a 30 minute run but I do the best I can.

I've been a runner since high school. Was pretty fast but am now slow. Smile Have had several long breaks away from running but have been back at it for almost 3 years again. I've run the MCM 3 times (1989. 2003, 2004) and am running it again this year. I'm also running the Disney Double in January and hoping to add a couple other marathons in 2006.
see emily play

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME: Juli, aka: Madame x, see emily play, Venus on the half shell, Nigella, and I am sure there will be several more incarnations!

[b]Why:
I have been running since 7th grade.
When I realized that I always came in last place on the Presidential Physical Exam 600 yd run, I started "training" for it. I was hooked, so I ran XC and track through highschool. I stopped running while in art school, gained 20 pounds, looked like hell, so I started running again. I found the beginings of this forum last year while training for Chicago Marathon and NOW, I am hooked. I will be running the Philadelphia Marathon this fall in hopes to qualify for Boston.

I have been married for 10 years and I have 2 kids, oh, and I am hoping to unload about 15 pounds before and during my training! Very Happy

Hey, Aussie girl! Enjoy this place, we are really wacky and honest!
alevansal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdsl wrote:
Hi from South Australia

I hope I can still read in on this forum regardless.... marathons fascinate me and this forum looks really down to earth and motivating

You are certainly welcome! Enjoy the fun and support here and heal soon!
alevansal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very good to see so many people here!

I have been running sporadically for almost 20 years. My current bout of consistent running (i.e. 3 to 6 days a week, every week) has lasted since January 2002. I've run some 5ks, some 8ks, some 10ks, some 15ks, 4 half marathons, and 4 marathons.

I run mainly to maintain weight, and do races for the social aspect (i.e., I usually get suckered into them), but I have an extremely hard time with the concept of my running them for fun. I always feel the need to see what I have in me to do that day.

I am currently running just to run and not turn into a blimp. However, I am trying to add regular hill work (on the dreadmill since there are no hills here) and a bit of unstructured speedwork. My scheduled events are Dances with Dirt, perhaps the 2006 Disney Half, and Boston 2006. Boston kicked my butt this year and sent me home with my tail tucked between my legs, so I thought I'd give it another whirl and see how much better I can do.
Bloomer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: checking in Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I've missed all y'all. Been busy. Went to Evanston to see daughter #2 graduate from college a week ago. Then went to Stratford (Ontario) to see five plays in four days with daughter #1 (an 8-year tradition). Sherpa-ed my sweetie on her first 5k walk-run on Sunday. Last night we had the minister over for dinner to discuss wedding plans, met this AM with the reception caterer. It's getting real, with Nuptial Day approaching July 30. Would love to invite ALL my running buds from these boards, but then we couldn't afford a honeymoon!

Oh yeah, something about running. I've been running for four years, marathon training for two years. At age 50 I got the fool notion to do 5 marathons that year. After I did that, I ran NYC and Boston. Now my body is broken down. I'm on the semi-IRL, recuperating a nasty Achilles tendonitis, planning a wedding, hoping to get back at racing this fall.

Welcome to the newbies (this is a GREAT group to join!), birthday felicitations to you new 40-somethings (I turned 52 on Father's Day), and happy trails to all (whether you're trail jogging for kicks or speed-demonizing local and national road races).
Dawnie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I'm 25 and a recent transplant to the Chicago area. I started running 5Ks a couple of years ago for no apparent reason and got hooked. I started thinking about running seriously last summer, and finally got really into it about 6 months ago.

I've run a boatload of 5Ks, a 10K, and finished my first half marathon in Disney back in January. Right now, I'm training for my first full marathon in October. I have dreams of someday, somehow, qualifying for Boston, but for now I'll settle with getting through the next 4 months in one piece.

Don't hate the hill, hate the race director!
JonD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Dawn!

Training for a marathon is an adventure in and of itself. I hope you have a marvelous experience!

http://attwilightblog.blogspot.com/
dan s

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This poor young woman, Dawn, has innocently wandered into these forums.

How in the world did you end up here? And BTW ... welcome!
Dawnie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon in Michigan posted a link on his blog last week sometime, and I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to kill time online.

Thanks for the welcome! Looks like a fun group.

Don't hate the hill, hate the race director!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdsl wrote:
Hi from South Australia

I have a confession to make...I may not belong here as I have never run in a marathon - but I have high hopes that one day I will.

I have only been running 18 months and in that time have had to stop due to numerous injuries...my latest being left calf strain.

I have been "out of action" for the last few weeks and it looks like I still have a few weeks to go.

Smile

No question about it, you are welcome here. Feel free to ask questions, feel free to just b.s. Please read and post to your heart's content.

P.S. Yes, a lot of us know each other, but hang around, you'll know us and we'll know you too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:
Jon in Michigan posted a link on his blog last week sometime, and I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to kill time online.

Thanks for the welcome! Looks like a fun group.

Hello to Dawn, also.
colliebrains

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdsl wrote:
Hi from South Australia

Smile

Well, come on over and join me on the gimp couch. I've been out since April due to a car crash and have at least another month to go with no running.

And you probably belong here more than I do since you at least have hopes to run a marathon one day. I'm pretty much done with marathons, I'm a triathlete slumming it over here. I'm like that annoying house guest that refuses to leave.

My Border Collie is smarter than your president.
lreichman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Liz, I am 43, and have two kids. I am not working now, but I used to be a highly paid professional with an office that had a nice view and a secretary. I have run close to 20 marathons.

Love this site, and have just noticed the links. I could spend hours exploring those...
mdsl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jon in Michigan posted a link on his blog last week sometime

I found this forum thru Jon too Very Happy
Snowman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm David, and I'm a runaholic.

I am coming up fast on 48 years old. I hated running with a passion until I was 40, but a confluence of events got me started on the slow descent into obsession. Along the way, I lost almost 50 pounds and discovered I was fast (for my age), pleasant surprises that still compete in my brain with four decades of being the slow, fat kid.

I am a children's media expert, running a small non-profit (dead loss, actually) professional development center and executive roundtable. I am late to post here because -- as usual -- I was travelling. I never imagined kids' TV as a way to see the world, but that is how it has worked out! Coming up: England, China, Germany and South Africa!

I have a wonderful (non-running but tolerant) wife of 24 years, and two dancing teen daughters whose grace makes me wonder about genetics or at least whether we ever had a milkman. I connect with their world by taking one ballet class a week (great stretching!) and annually playing "Drosselmeyer" in their ballet school "Nutcracker."
Julie Jam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so jazzed about the new people I realized I forgot to introduce myself! So here goes:

I'm Julie. I live in Chicago. My first race ever was the Chicago Marathon 2002. I'd never run before. Sure I was the step aerobic queen at my gym but where was I going with that crowd? Double step? Jazzersize? God help me. My inspiration to run was seeing the New York City Marathon on TV right after September 11th. Everyone had a common goal and was flush with positive emotion. I needed to be a part the movement. I bought a pair of running shoes and never looked back!

I've run more marathons than I have 5Ks. I'm on marathon number six and 5K number two. I've done a couple of halfs, one 10K (I think, or is the Shamrock Shuffle an 8K?) and quite a few relays. I'm more about running with friends than I am competing. I train really really hard so I am always prepared to run any fun race in the offing. I also train really really hard so I can keep up with my friends! You tell me there's a race you want to run this weekend, and I'm ready to roll. To me, speding time with friends is worth all the training effort.

I've recently learned how to swim and competed in my first triathlon. They're a little complicated for my liking but I do love swimming and riding a bike is okay. (I'm a city bike rider so I get a little bored when taxis aren't trying to run me down.) I definately want to do a few more.

I'm known around this crowd as JKo (thanks to Thorin), Aunt Jewie (thanks to my niece and nephew who secretly want to kill me) and Sweet Ass (thanks to me, I'm nothing but a self-promoter!). By day I'm a Public Defender in Chicago. I specialize in murders so let's hope we never meet over a business lunch. But a job hazard is a very sick, twisted sense of reality, so please forgive me for the insults I'm sure to unwittingly hurl in your direction sooner or later. I'm really a delicate flower. (Oh go fok yourself, I am too!)

I'm incredibly happy we've started this website and message board. I'm 100% behind the project and want to help in any way. If that means running marathons all over the country with an endangered rodent on my chest, so be it! Go Tapirs! Let's go for a run!
don p.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: We've got some cool peeps in the house Reply with quote

international and everything. never knew jon in michigan had such a following!
nicole l.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im Nicole, just found my way over from the old boards!

I have to date run 8 marathons, one being a trail marathon, and one ultra 50k trail marathon. rarely do I run shorter distances, the shorter it is the slower I am. slowtwitcher here!
I love the trails!

I've had a bone bruise throughout my Boston marathon training, but with the help of my PT got through the race without pain. Took some time off then when I resumed short runs developed a split tendon in the same foot. needless to say just last week I was able to start running again! nothing big right now but it is on the mend at long last! 2 months has been my longest time off from running and consistently training since '00. my eye is set on possibly running the Lewis and Clark 1/2, here in Missouri this fall. barring continued progress.

oh yes, and I have a boy age 8 and a beagle, age 2! Very Happy
Doctor F

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdsl wrote:
Quote:
Jon in Michigan posted a link on his blog last week sometime

I found this forum thru Jon too Very Happy

Cool, Jon has groupies! Cool Shocked Laughing
Darth Vader

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually been doing work lately so I haven't had a chance to post to this thread, but the boss is away for a while so I'll take precious company time to post.

My name is Ryk and I'm a kind of an idiot. I've run 7 marathons so far and I'm scheduled to run marathons 8, 9, 10 and 11 in October. Hey, I said I was an idiot. There's a reason for it but I won't get into it now. I'll save the shameless self-promotion for another time. Two years ago the docs told me to quit running because my knee was a pile of shit waiting to explode. I told them to fuck off. I'm not a good runner or a fast runner and I probably never will be, but at least I'm still slogging along. I've met some of the best people I've ever known through running and I've built many friendships that go far beyond the crazy sport that brought us together initially. That's probably the biggest reason I keep running. That and so I can see J-Ko in spandex shorts and a short shirt that exposes her rock hard abs.

One more thing...T$ IS HOT!!! Woohooo!
Darth Vader

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at my own post and realized something. Since there are some new people here I think I should point out that, despite my profile pic, the odd spelling of my name and the fact that I said "T$ is hot," I'm a guy...a straight, married with kids guy. And don't let anybody tell you anything different. I'm all man.
dan s

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that clarification Ryk. And along the same lines, I'm not a funny-looking dog, but that's about as far as I'll go.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Vader wrote:
I just looked at my own post and realized something. Since there are some new people here I think I should point out that, despite my profile pic, the odd spelling of my name and the fact that I said "T$ is hot," I'm a guy...a straight, married with kids guy. And don't let anybody tell you anything different. I'm all man.

I love it! Ryk looked at his own post and was confused about his sexuality. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I, however, am a karate action figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Motivation All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: