Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HEY NEWBIES/LURKERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloomer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunkid wrote:
Y'all seem like the lively bunch I'll let myself be abused by once in a while.

Be careful what you wish for! ;-)
Len

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the Bunny Babe back on the boards!

chiarenc wrote:
Hi Everyone-

I was a poster on the old Higdon boards from 2001 - late 2003. While I have kept up with my running, my crazy schedule has kept me away from the boards.

Luckily, my dear friend Len has kept me abreast of all of the happenings on this new board and now I've wandered over to join all the madness.

I have been running 20 - 30 miles per week since about 2001. I have done Chicago Marathon a couple of times, Washington D.C. Marathon, San Francisco Marathon, Flying Pig and Beijing Marathon.

My husband is a strong Ironman competitor and he keeps me off of the couch. Smile We enjoy running, cycling, yoga and just about anything out of doors.

If you're from the old boards, you probably once knew me as the "Bunny Babe".

That's it for now.

Best,
Chiaren
a.k.a. Bunny Babe

evil don

Location: Close to my own Margaritaville, The Haliburton Forest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
ClydesdaleBud wrote:
unless you're talking about how I act then it's 12 and under. Laughing
Ah, so you'll bring some maturity to this group. Welcome, Bud.
I'm with you on the 12 and under Bud. Doctor F speaks tehe truth!

And Bunny Babe ... welcome

and let me be the first to say ...

This thread is useless without pictures Laughing
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I'm God's Own Drunk and a fearless man!
Doctor F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Bunny Babe. Perhaps it's time someone tells the group how you got your nickname.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello new people and new, old people!

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away AND you'll have their shoes.
ck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chairen, you haven't aged a bit! Welcome back to the new boards!
Matt M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Matt M on Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doctor F

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt M wrote:
Bunny Babe? Or Poop Pellet? You decide.

Very Happy

Classic:

I can't believe that none of the more unsavory people (like Referee Brian) have jumped on the "Poop Pellet" bandwagon...
Oops - cheap shot, Brian. Smile

BB

-- Chiaren Cushing, August 21, 2001
Ric H.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chairen, whatever handle you want is fine welcome to these boards.
And who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory or defeat. Theodore Roosevelt

Marathon Maniac #721 4 stars

A double is an ultramarathon with nap time in the middle - Clare King MM # 338 AKA trail queen
Shelagh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt M wrote:
Bunny Babe? Or Poop Pellet? You decide.

Very Happy

I must be getting old! I was around way back when! Welcome back Chiaren! I think we may even have met at the pre race party that year in Chicago!

Boston # 17396
jo o

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I guess it's about time I "outed" myself. As some of you noticed I've been a lurker for a long time, on and off from way back during the doit boards. I quit smoking a little over 10 years ago and started a walking/jogging program to avoid gaining weight. That led to running, which led to running marathons. I've completed 9 so far, none fast but I do finish! I'm slowly recovering from the broken toe, and I've discovered that I really miss running! I was averaging about 30 - 35 miles a week before the injury and hope to get back to that level soon.

On a personal note...I'm retired from the Air Force, currently an elementary school librarian, have 2 sons 13 & 16, and live in Omaha NE. Who knows, maybe I'll be brave enough to post a little more often now!
stihl going

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Sir.
"My guess Kleenex is that you're a "minute" man" Julie K
ClydesdaleBud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and hope you're back to speed soon. My wife and I are running the Bellevue Barnstormer in May. We are visiting family in the big "O". Maybe we'll see ya there.
Maniac #881
Ric H.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jo, glad to have you.
And who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory or defeat. Theodore Roosevelt

A double is an ultramarathon with nap time in the middle - Clare King MM # 338 AKA trail queen
Doctor F

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have a newbie on the board who has not identified herself.
EatDrinkRunWoman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just turned 44 (and am in the best shape of my life). I'm now in what I call my second running "career." The first was in the early 90s; I wasn't too serious about training but ran my first half marathon in 1993. By the late 90s my running tapered off (although I would typically run the St. Patty's Day 5K Dash each year).

I became a personal chef in 2001 and started packing on the pounds. By May 2005 I topped the scales at 200 -- time for my second running career! Since then I've run 4 half marathons and 1 full (the Marathon du Medoc in Bordeaux, France. It features 22 wine tastings during the race!). In two weeks my husband and I will be doing the Goofy Challenge in Orlando (half on Saturday, full on Sunday).

Now that I have the running bug my next goal is to qualify for Boston. My first attempt will be June 2008 (North Olympic Discovery Marathon); I'll be following the Pfitz 18/55 plan.
stihl going

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. Apparently we have some more competition for the title of Top Chef.
GBN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. The menu forum sorely needs you. Its all bathtub beer and teff at the moment.
1L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! You need to PM me as I am going Goofy as well as Toby and some others.

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
survivor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a long time, thanks to my girlfriend. I'm not a runner, but am a program coordinator for the Hemophilia Federation of America. I've noticed a striking similarity in the mindsets of distance runners and old guys with hemophilia. Strength of will, ignoring pain to get to the finish, that sort of thing. (not to mention a fairly twisted sense of humor)

I'm looking for an inspirational speaker for our symposium this May, and am wondering who you have heard recently that inspired you?
Snowman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

survivor wrote:
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a long time, thanks to my girlfriend. I'm not a runner, but am a program coordinator for the Hemophilia Federation of America. I've noticed a striking similarity in the mindsets of distance runners and old guys with hemophilia. Strength of will, ignoring pain to get to the finish, that sort of thing. (not to mention a fairly twisted sense of humor)

I'm looking for an inspirational speaker for our symposium this May, and am wondering who you have heard recently that inspired you?

Welcome, survivor!

You may want to repost this in its own thread, so people don't miss it, since this thread doesn't get a lot of action.

You should get a lot of suggestions, though, since there are frequent posts about people we've found inspirational, starting with the Hoyts.

Where are you based (or, where is the symposium), as that might suggest someone relatively local.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KRUje1UQJs
stihl going

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks as though we have a newbie aboard. Imurtha, welcome to the nuthouse or whichever adjective you wish to insert.
lmurtha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome!

I've been running since before I can remember...20 plus years.

I've tried other sports, I rowed varsity in college which at 5' 5" is quite an accomplishment (My coxswain was taller than me) and Roller Derby because who doesn't love full contact sports in skirts and knee highs, but in the end we do what we love and I love running.

I just got into marathons in 05' my first being Wichita, KS....very flat, cheep, small race, really a good first timer. I got third in my age division (did I mention that it was really small) and was 6 min. off BQ.

As I am OCD I couldn't let that go so I ran Twin Cities in O6' and scraped by with a BQ by the skin of my teeth. So now my third is Boston 08' and I'm so excited I don't know whether to pee myself or.......well that's really the only way to celebrate.

I'm not at all sarcastic and I tend to ramble.
lori

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmurtha wrote:
I'm so excited I don't know whether to pee myself

Welcome lmurtha! We have some around here that do this.. so feel free if that's what make you happy! Smile

Congrats on your BQ! You are going to have a blast! Update us on your training, and of course, on how your race goes.

Glad to have another OCD around here!
Judy Denver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmurtha wrote:
So now my third is Boston 08' and I'm so excited I don't know whether to pee myself or.......well that's really the only way to celebrate.

Welcome, lmurtha. Your Beantown entry is duly noted on the TM official race list, so you're completely screwed now.

BTW, don't go peeing yourself in Hopkinton - they've started to really frown on that pee-anywhere thing lately. Better to wait until you get to Newton and see the hills.

Marathon Maniac #835. Check out my 50 states progress at: MarathonGeeks

Current Tally:
64 Marathons, 2 Ultras
50 States, 1 Province, 2 Countries, 1 Continent
EatDrinkRunWoman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah -- another TM newbie! Welcome lmurtha!
- Betsy, Maniac #1077
Rita

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Imurtha...OCD, peeing yourself, going to your third Boston... you fit right in... just don't come up injured, which is another common occurance around here... 20 years seems like long enough to know how to be careful, right... at least I hope in another 5 years I'll be able to say I am always careful... Rolling Eyes

freerice.com
SailCrazy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Hello from another newbie Reply with quote

Hi All,

Another newbie here to introduce himself: I guess if you're in this forum you're either really bored or slightly interested, so you'll get the semi-unabridged version!

I've been a long-time off and on runner. I was decent in Jr. High (yes, I have to go waaaay back to find the glory days.) Anyway, I almost set the school record for the 800 in 8th grade. From there everyone else grew longer and leaner; I grew thicker and less flexible. Great for football, slightly less so for running! Smile

In college I ran a few races, mostly a 5k here or there. One year I did the 20k Distance Classic held in conjunction with the Penn Relays (open to everyone, not part of any collegiate completion) and the 25k River Bank Run in Grand Rapids, Michigan. (It is and alwasy will be Old Kent to me.)

Since then I've spent plenty of time eating and drinking well, and sporadically decided that I'd let myself get too out of shape and trained for a bigger race. I've done 25k five times, as well as a decent number of 10ks and 5ks along the way. I’ve never been especially fast and I've frequently been a bit fat, but I’ve always had fun.

About a year ago I decided that I needed to stop the on again, off again, off again running/fitness cycles and just stay in shape. In order to make that happen I've tried to do some sort of race every month or two. In the past year I've done races of (in no particular order) 13.1mi, 10k, 5k, 8k, 4.8mi, 5.45mi. It’s been fun. I’ve had a few injuries along the way, but nothing too horrific. As I’ve stayed in shape I’ve gotten a little faster. Once in a long while, if there isn’t too much competition, I sneak into a podium spot at an under-attended event. Hey… sometimes showing up is more than half the battle! Wink

I just entered a team for the 2008 Dances With Dirt 100k relay in Hell, Mi. September is a long way off, but I’m really looking forward to it. I envision some bigger races between now and then (probably a half and a 25k) but DWD is going to be the main event on the horizon between now and then. I’m not quite sure I know what I’ve gotten myself into – and I’m fairly sure that my teammates don’t know what they’ve gotten themselves into – but we all know it’s going to be a blast!

That’s about it for me. I recently found Taper Madness during a Google search for Dances With Dirt, so I’m sure I’ll get to know a few fellow runners on the DWD threads between now and then.

Nice to meet you all.

Happy Trails! Smile

<edited to correct errors because I cna't spel>

Some things are still a mystery to me, while others are much to clear.

I'm growing older, but not up.

~Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by SailCrazy on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
EatDrinkRunWoman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
- Betsy, Maniac #1077
lori

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...we.have.a.new.one!..Welcome...(pardon.the..periods..My.spacer.bar.is.broken!)
Scuba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the nut house! You and your team will love DWD. It's one of the most fun races you'll ever do, and there are tons of cool people who do it, too! Happy trails, and congratulations on making the lifestyle change to keep yourself healthy and happy.
kent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Homer, glad you found us! And we don't sweat teh spelling errors around here at all.

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Finally! Another newbie!!

Welcome, and we'll see you at DWD.
Snowman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think SailCrazy is really Farnk under an assumed name...who else knows how to break the code that allows XL avatars...

Welcome, SC! Bob will now teach you the secret TM photo pose.

littlewally and farnk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I get better thoings to do than make up an alias!

Welocme SIALCRAZY!! see ya in HELL!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. You'll find many of us at DWD. Make sure your team stays at the Tapermadness team hotel.

"nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast"

Please support my 2011 Marathon Charity
--k r i s h m d
alevansal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome SailCrazy! Glad to meet you and looking forward to seeing you in Hell!
ClydesdaleBud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Funny Farm...Cue the deer. You're going to love it here. Not many will of these folks will tease you as you become obsessed with running. Congrats on the races done and best of luck on the ones to come.
Maniac #881
lmurtha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!!!! We've all been on the on again off again roller coaster glad your back on the crazy train!
Dawnie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! We're always looking for new lunatics to join the fold.

Don't hate the hill, hate the race director!
Snowman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClydesdaleBud wrote:
Not many will of these folks will tease you as you become obsessed with running.

He's right! We'll find much more interesting and sensitive things to tease you about! Very Happy Shocked Very Happy

Lars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Welcome! Do you sail?! Smile

We like to faon.
SailCrazy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Very Happy

I'm looking forward to chatting here, and to seeing many of you in Hell!

7 - We'll be coming in from Ann Arbor, so I don't think we'll need a hotel. Hopefully that won't remove us from all the pre & post-race fun!

Sorry about the gigantic homer simpson. Ironically, I chose to link to a photo I found on the web because the file size for all of the running pics I had on my computer was too big. I guess you either get a big file or a big avatar. I definitely have no code-hacking skills!

Lars - I do sail. Grew up around an old Ranger 28, and try to sail somewhat regularly on a J/35. (Though this is going to be a summer with limited free time.)

I rememberd during my workout tonight that I hadn't included the Bay to Breakers among my list of past runs. That was a great run, and definitely should have been on the list of past accomplishments! Smile

Some things are still a mystery to me, while others are much to clear.

I'm growing older, but not up.

~Jimmy Buffett

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to ALL new Posters/Tapirs/People/Runners/Eaters/Cookers (chefs)/Sailors/etc! Look forward to everyone contributing to the madness.

P.S. Finally, a Parrothead. Someone who understands the Buffet state-of-mind. No I don't sail, but I know what boat is; went sailing last week with The Husband's family.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away AND you'll have their shoes.
amdan10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow runners! I'm a newbie and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Anne Marie, and I'm pretty new to marathoning. I was a three mile a day person, but after my second child I decided to do a half marathon. I completed it and got PF in the process, and had to take six months off. When I recovered, I told my hubbie that I wanted to do "just one marathon," which I did six months later - that was last Jan. I've done four total since, and my fifth will be Boston in three weeks. So I guess you could say I'm hooked. This long distance running is a crazy thing. A friend told me about the board and it sounded like a great way to get tips, meet other crazy running people, and find people to race with. So on with the Madness! Very Happy
lori

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann Marie!!! Welcome to the boards! We're so happy to have newcomers! Wow, you really got hooked once you did your first thon. Can't wait to hear how your Boston experience goes! Make sure you continue to check in and give us updates!

Lori
stihl going

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well another newbie and another bound for Beantown. This could make one very interesting brunch!
Judy Denver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Anne Marie! I'm taking responsibility for bringing Anne Marie to our Boston brunch, since she's my roomie for the weekend (thanks to Autumn for being the matchmaker a couple of months ago). We'll all get to meet her and introduce her firsthand to the madness.

Marathon Maniac #835. Check out my 50 states progress at: MarathonGeeks

Current Tally:
64 Marathons, 2 Ultras
50 States, 1 Province, 2 Countries, 1 Continent
Ric H.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Anne Marie! Hummm, I noticed that Judy used the word "responsibility" instead of "credit". And she's far too much a wordsmith to be sloopy with meanings. So I take that to mean you'll be crazy enough to fit right in here.

As far as the part about I'm only going to do one marathon in my lifetime and I'll quit before I hurt myself. Most of us have been down that road. With me that feeling didn't last until I got out of the recovery area.

amdan10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the welcomes!!!! Y'all seem like a crazy bunch. Can't wait to meet everyone at brunch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Motivation All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: