Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last Night's Grey's Anatomy (includes plot spoilers)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Last Night's Grey's Anatomy (includes plot spoilers) Reply with quote

So, I know that the medicine on doctors shows is about as fake as the law on legal shows, but anyone have any idea if there is any basis for a marathoner having his legs swell up like ballons because he ran the first half of the race with a cold after taking a couple aspirin? A significant minority of swimers that I swum with would always be taking either OTC or prescription anti-inflammatories and would train through colds, flus, whatever, and I've never heard of anything like this happening.

I would also predict that Christine eventually says yes, but that Callie does not and should not. Was anyone really surprised that Richard's wife had already moved on? She handed down the ultimatum a long time ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Last Night's Grey's Anatomy (includes plot spoilers) Reply with quote

Tom L wrote:
So, I know that the medicine on doctors shows is about as fake as the law on legal shows, but anyone have any idea if there is any basis for a marathoner having his legs swell up like ballons because he ran the first half of the race with a cold after taking a couple aspirin? A significant minority of swimers that I swum with would always be taking either OTC or prescription anti-inflammatories and would train through colds, flus, whatever, and I've never heard of anything like this happening.

I would also predict that Christine eventually says yes, but that Callie does not and should not. Was anyone really surprised that Richard's wife had already moved on? She handed down the ultimatum a long time ago.

It is well known that a viral infection can cause a cardiomyopathy. Aspirin and other nsaids can reduce renal blood flow, especially in the setting of underlying dehydration (e.g. during a marathon). So there is some factual basis. I didn't see the show, nor do I follow it, so I would need some more details. But I can put together a chain of events that makes that result plausible. It would be highly unlikely, however.

"nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast"

Please support my 2011 Marathon Charity
--k r i s h m d
Trent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, many of these shows are pretty well grounded in reality. Sometimes more so than real medical practice.

Yes. NSAIDS can cause substantial swelling. I do not watch the show, so I do not know what exactly was depicted.
GregC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well now thanks to that stupid show last night, my wife has hid my running shoes. Thanks Grey's Anatomy.

(Luckily I have many many spare pairs hidden throughout the house).

"Shut Up Bob!!"

New and mediocre as ever:
http://running-against-time.blogspot.com
Doctor F

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Last Night's Grey's Anatomy (includes plot spoilers) Reply with quote

Tom L wrote:
So, I know that the medicine on doctors shows is about as fake as the law on legal shows...

Are you suggesting that the law on Boston Legal is fake?
Tom L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Last Night's Grey's Anatomy (includes plot spoilers) Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
Tom L wrote:
So, I know that the medicine on doctors shows is about as fake as the law on legal shows...

Are you suggesting that the law on Boston Legal is fake?

Never watched it. I think that the scenes in Ally McBeal when the Judge would decide based upon dental records were some of the most realistic I've ever seen about what really happens in courtrooms during motion calls.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is any consolation, I dissect the technical hardware in movie/TV scenes. For example, I remember watching a movie with Sigourney Weaver -- she was an agorno/agoro -- some phobic that wouldn't leave her apt. Anyway, I busted laughing because no way would those graphics, pictures, and video download and display with the speed and accuracy shown -- AND she was using a phone line for cryin' out loud.

However, if I ever get really, really mysteriously sick, I'm going to see House.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away AND you'll have their shoes.
Judy Denver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D¢ wrote:
If it is any consolation, I dissect the technical hardware in movie/TV scenes. For example, I remember watching a movie with Sigourney Weaver -- she was an agorno/agoro -- some phobic that wouldn't leave her apt. Anyway, I busted laughing because no way would those graphics, pictures, and video download and display with the speed and accuracy shown -- AND she was using a phone line for cryin' out loud.

I'm with ya on this one, D. A year or two ago there was a Harrison Ford movie where he was some techno geek at a bank, and some would-be bank robbers kidnapped his family. We rented this flick, and I was shouting at the TV while he was working his geeky magic, magically connecting to wireless networks in the middle of nowhere with immediate response time. (It was still a pretty good movie, but it was not at all plausible.)

Marathon Maniac #835. Check out my 50 states progress at: MarathonGeeks

Current Tally:
64 Marathons, 2 Ultras
50 States, 1 Province, 2 Countries, 1 Continent
Julie Jam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot stand those legal shows!

This woman who used to work in our office got a job working for NYPD Blue and the screenwriters would call us all the time for story ideas. A couple of times my cases ended up on the show and they were always completely blown out of proportion. Does anyone remember the episode where the guy cut up his friend with a circular saw in the tub after the guy had raped his 12 year old daughter? And then the tub was made of metal and the guy got electrocuted? Yup. That was mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie Jam wrote:
I cannot stand those legal shows!
This woman who used to work in our office got a job working for NYPD Blue and the screenwriters would call us all the time for story ideas. A couple of times my cases ended up on the show and they were always completely blown out of proportion. Does anyone remember the episode where the guy cut up his friend with a circular saw in the tub after the guy had raped his 12 year old daughter? And then the tub was made of metal and the guy got electrocuted? Yup. That was mine.

I'm glad I got my post in before Julie. I mean, seriously, how the hello does one follow that?? Cool

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away AND you'll have their shoes.
sunkid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie Jam wrote:
Does anyone remember the episode where the guy cut up his friend with a circular saw in the tub after the guy had raped his 12 year old daughter? And then the tub was made of metal and the guy got electrocuted? Yup. That was mine.

And the real life story is: he used an electric knife, the other guy, a total stranger, had merely cat whistled at the daughter, and the porcelain tub simply fell on the knife wielding murderer's foot. Am I close?

Come to think of it, I don't want to know the real story, Julie! Wish I had the guts to be a public defender!
Julie Jam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D¢ wrote:
I mean, seriously, how the hello does one follow that??

Oh, I can top it little D. Old Circy Saw doesn't even crack the top ten.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for one of my cases to turn up on tv.

Then again , it was before my tenure here, but Carolyn Warmus continues to contact our office claiming she is innocent.
richfscott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie Jam wrote:
D¢ wrote:
I mean, seriously, how the hello does one follow that??

Oh, I can top it little D. Old Circy Saw doesn't even crack the top ten.

Next on LA Boston Legal, be sure to tune in and watch richfscott, esq. wait. That's right, folks. A jam-packed three hours of waiting for a 30 minute hearing that doesn't really amount to anything. Revel in the arrogant judges who don't give a fuck and take long personal calls about their plans...on a FRIDAY!!!

That's right, edgy judges making everyone wait on a Friday!!! Will the drama and comedy of the entire maddening situation ever stop? This episode will have you filling out law school applications by tomorrow.

Be sure to tune in!!
richfscott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
I'm waiting for one of my cases to turn up on tv.

Then again , it was before my tenure here, but Carolyn Warmus continues to contact our office claiming she is innocent.

Judge Judy took one of my cases. The civil side of it. Judge Judy commented on the air, that it was a pretty clever prosecutor who got a burglary conviction out of the case.

I was the clever prosecutor. Ipso facto, I rule. Vis a vie. Et cetera. Tortfeasor. And various other Latin-ish words and phrases.

Seriously, though, Judge Judy really did say that. I've got the tape.
Tom L

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richfscott wrote:
Revel in the . . . judges who . . . take . . . personal calls

Edited to fit the actual situation because none of the judges involved seemed arrogant.

I was in a federal Circuit Court of Appeals a little while ago, where you get 15 whole minutes of argument and there are numerous warnings about not letting your cell phone go off. The courtroom is one of those that you imagine in law school full of dark wood, leather chairs for everyone and portraits of various former federal judges, including both my ethics prof and Chief Justice/President Taft. Only my third time there and the second time arguing. First case up at 8:30 so I can't even get a read on the panel. All very experienced and well respected judges on the panel; the circuit prides itself on asking tough questions.

About 8 minutes into my argument (with the digital clock ticking down the seconds), one of the judge's cell phones goes off. He answers it, after first fumbling for a while trying to dig it out of his robe. I'm bitting my tongue to keep from laughing while still trying to answer the question coherently, which is difficult enough for me under normal circumstances. As the judge starts talking, I suggest that the situation was a bit ironic to the presiding judge whose question I'm trying to answer. For once it was the right thing to say, as she graciously gave me another minute of time.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom L wrote:
The courtroom is one of those that you imagine in law school full of dark wood, leather chairs for everyone and portraits of various former federal judges, including both my ethics prof and Chief Justice/President Taft.

Lucky guy. I get to try cases in the courtroom which has only a portrait of the presiding arrogant SOB in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richfscott wrote:
Judge Judy took one of my cases. The civil side of it. Judge Judy commented on the air, that it was a pretty clever prosecutor who got a burglary conviction out of the case.

I was the clever prosecutor. Ipso facto, I rule. Vis a vie. Et cetera. Tortfeasor. And various other Latin-ish words and phrases.

Seriously, though, Judge Judy really did say that. I've got the tape.

Hi, I'm D¢ and I watch judge shows. That will be my only confession of the day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Madness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: